PHOTOGRAPHY: CASSEY HO
What you need:
What to do:
1. Cut off the asparagus tips and simmer in 1 inch of boiling water for about 4 minutes, or until tender. Drain and set aside.
2. Cut the asparagus stalks into 1-inch pieces.
3. Saute the onion in the butter or vegan margarine in a large saucepan, covered, for 5 minutes, without browning. Add the asparagus pieces and cook gently for a further 5-10 minutes.
4. Stir in the stock, cover the pan and leave the soup to simmer for about 30 minutes, until the asparagus pieces are very tender.
5. Puree the soup in a blender or food processor, then sieve it. Return it to the rinsed-out pan, add the cream, reheat without boiling and season to taste with salt and pepper. If using the asparagus tips as a garnish, reheat them briefly in boiling water, then drain. Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and place the asparagus tips on top, dividing them equally between the bowls.
I hope you enjoy this one; I know I will!
* recipe from The Complete Vegetarian Cuisine