PHOTOGRAPHY: HEIDI SWANSON
What you need:
What to do:
1. Fill a medium sauce pan with water and bring to a boil. You are going to use some of this water over the bulghur (to cook it), and the rest to blanch (quick-boil) the peas and asparagus.
2. Put the bulghur in a medium bowl, add boiling water to the surface of the grains and let it stand for about 15 minutes, just until tender. Drain and press out any remaining water and toss with a couple pinches of salt. Set aside.
3. Return the saucepan to the heat and bring the remainder of the water back up to a boil. Salt the water and cook the asparagus and peas for just about 20 seconds, just long enough for them to brighten up and lose a bit of their bite. Drain, run under colder water to stop the cooking, and add to the bulghur.
4. For the dressing, whisk the garlic, lemon juice, and olive oil together and season with more salt if needed.
5. Combine the bulghur, asparagus, and peas add 1/2 the chives and 1/2 the walnuts. Toss with a big splash of the dressing. Taste and add more dressing if needed. Adjust the seasoning as well at this point. Garnish with the remaining chives, walnuts, and chopped egg and serve.