PHOTOGRAPHY: ELISE BAUER
You will need :
*4 cups peas
*1 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter - you may use a non
dairy substitute like Earth Balance, but its so minimal that its fine to use the butter.
*1/2 cup chopped onion
*1/2 cup low salt vegetable broth - Trader Joe's has one very low in sodium
*1/4 non fat half and half
*1 cup fresh mint leaves
*fresh black pepper to taste if you must use a little bit of sea salt.
1. Bring a saucepan of water to boil. Add the peas and simmer until crisp-tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain, rinse under cold water and drain again. Set the peas aside.
2. Melt the butter in a saucepan and saute the onion over medium-low heat until soft but not browned, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the stock and half and half, raise the heat to medium and cook until reduced by half, 5 minutes.
4. Add the mint and peas. Cook for 1 minute and remove from heat.
5. Transfer the mixture to the container of a food processor and puree until smooth. It can then be divided up into several portions and frozen.
By the way, I shared this recipe with one of my clients and she said, "but aren't peas full of sugar?" Ladies, these are peas, not doughnuts! We did not become overweight because we have all eaten too many peas! So Enjoy!